Saturday, December 8, 2012

Testing out my new 50mm lens

I finally went ahead a bought a new lens for my camera.  Until now I have been using the 18-55 kit lens, and haven't had many complaints, but I thought I would go ahed a get a fixed length lens to see how I liked it.

I got a great deal on Amazon for the Cannon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens (under $300 shipped.)  I am a large aperture junkie and so I was psyched to get an f/1.4.  I found myself almost always shooting with my aperture wide open and so I couldn't wait to play with the new lens.

My first test was setting up the two lenses on the box, opening up the aperture all the way and watching what happened to the background.  
You can see how nicely blurred the second image is, as well as how much less distortion there is when you compare the shape of the box. 

For my real world test I took the camera to the kid's Christmas party and took a few shots:

Facepainting:


Waiting in line to stuff a build-a-bear:

Letters to Santa:


I'm pretty excited with how they came out.  I do have to get to used to working with a non-zoom lens, but so far so good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment